If you’ve dabbled in setting up your own cleaning company before, you’ll know there’s no shortage of them. Window cleaning, commercial cleaning, residential cleaning, carpet cleaning, gutter cleaning, patio cleaning, gravestone cleaning… if it can be cleaned, there’s a cleaning company for it!
This abundance of companies in the same industry can be off-putting for those looking to set up a similar business – how will your company stand out from the crowd with so much competition? Finding your unique selling point can be a challenge, but it’s certainly not impossible!
- Refine your Niche
Often, when competition for your business is too high, it’s because your niche isn’t narrow enough. For example, you may provide services in window cleaning, but so does everyone else. The trick here is to find a loophole, or a niche, that nobody else is providing for.
Have you cleaned windows for multiple hair salons before? Hone in on this niche and promote yourself as a salon window cleaner. Do you clean carpets frequently for schools in a particular area? Market yourself specifically in this niche. By doing so, you’ll reduce your competition and pinpoint yourself as an expert in your field of choice.
- Make the Most of your Website
While your new cleaning company may have a lot of competition, many existing cleaning companies have been around for a while and therefore may not be making the best use of their website.
Your website is the first place potential customers will go when considering whether to work with your business. They may have noticed you on social media or could have heard about you in the local community via leaflets or word of mouth – your website needs to confirm to them that they were right to look you up.
Here are our top tips for making your website stand out:
- Keep it simple – while you will need plenty of copy on your website, the trick is not to overload it. Ensure your services are clearly stated and that the site itself is easy to navigate. There are far too many websites out there that are packed to the brim with content – make yours stand out by keeping it simple and refined.
- Add Personality – a lot of websites tend to be quite formal and void of character. Give yours a unique twist by injecting a little bit of personality into it. Using a more colloquial tone and a sprinkle of humour here and there will take away that stuffy, informal edge.
- Get Personal – ensure your customers are at the heart of your content. Instead of focusing on what you can do, focus on the benefits your services will provide for them. Using personal pronouns here like ‘you’ will make customers feel like you’re engaging them directly.
3. Show up on Socials
One of the best things you can do to make your company stand out is to show up. Getting in front of the right people and ensuring your company becomes one that is known and familiar will stand you in good stead for attracting customers.
A really simple way to consistently show up is to have active social media accounts. Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn are all great places to showcase your services and give potential clients an insight into your business.
But what should you be posting to set yourself apart from the rest?
- Industry Insights – try to avoid going too sales-y with your social media posts. Instead, try sharing industry tricks and tips that may help your potential customers out. Know a hack for removing tough stains from carpets? Got a secret recipe for the best floor cleaner? Let your followers know! They’ll begin to trust you as a credible source of information and remember you for the advice you offered.
- Before and After – when you’re selling a service, it can be difficult for potential customers to envisage what that service will look like. It’s okay saying you clean carpets, but what exactly does that mean? Using images to show real-life before and after shots of jobs you complete will make you stand out as an honest, trustworthy company willing to share their processes with their customers.
- Engage – Social media is all about making connections. One of the best ways to stand out on social media is to make an effort to engage with your followers. Like and comment on their posts and share anything relevant – they’ll begin to recognise you before long!
4. Utilise Other Marketing Methods
The more marketing you do just as your business is starting out, the more you’ll be able to set yourself apart from the rest.
A great form of marketing that is relatively easy to get on board with is business blogging. Setting up a business blog page for your company and consistently posting relevant, valuable content will make your business stand out as a company that can be trusted. It will be apparent to potential customers that you’re invested in helping them in any way you can, not just through investing in your services.
How-to guides, top tips, and industry insights are all great blog topics that go down well with potential customers, especially when your business is in its early stages.
5. Go the Extra Mile
People remember when you go above and beyond what you’re expected to do. At The Edwards Company, for example, we provide written content, but we also know how important visual content is. We, therefore, provide all of our copywriting clients with beautiful stock images that compliment the content we’ve crafted for no extra charge. We don’t have to, but it’s just something we like to do, and our clients remember us for it.
Where your cleaning company is concerned, you could throw in a complimentary service for a first-time client or offer cleaning products at discount prices for loyal customers – it doesn’t have to be excessive, just something small that people will remember you for.
Make your Cleaning Company Stand Out
There are plenty of other things you can do to help your business stand out from the crowd, but these five simple steps offer an excellent starting point that can be built upon to create a business that is unique to you.
If you’re looking to make your business stand out but are unsure where to start when it comes to copy for your website, business blog page or social media, please get in touch. We specialise in crafting compelling copy for cleaning companies and have a range of flexible, affordable packages available designed to support your business journey. We’re looking forward to giving your business the start it deserves!